Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Invention of the cross product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jone

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wonder if the cross product was "invented" because it would be handy in physics to calculate quantities like torque = r x F and magnetic force = qv x B. Or is there some other history behind it?

pareshatlnmiit said:
Look at this article
**broken link removed**

BTW - the book cited in that article, A History of Vector Analysis; The Evolution of the Idea of a Vectorial System, Michael J. Crowe, 1967, republished in 1985, is EXCELLENT!!! See here for details.

dh

I alway thought that vector calculs in general was developed for the analysis of fluid flow. The concept of tourque induced on a paddle wheel in a fluid indicating that there is Curl in a region of flow was the first physical concept that brought all the vector calculus theory to reality for me. To this day I find it easier to visualize E and H as fliud fields.

C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back