Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use 2 condition in assign [verilog]

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisordan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have learnt how to use system verilog but this is my first time to use verilog. So I have a question about how to use 2 condition in assign.

I have 3 input (a,b,c) and 1 output (z)
For System verilog, I will do it like that:
always_comb //always_comb is the same function as assign
begin
if(a==b)
z=a;
else
if (b==c)
z=b;
end
For verilog: //this is doing the first part of function, how can I put the second part into this assign?
assign z = (a & b) ? a:z; //I know thats wrong since a=/=b , this will output z for z. What should I write if a=/=b, it will do " if (b==c)
z=b;

Thanks for the help
Ivan

Last edited:

Your always_comb blocks is not combinatorial - if a != b, and b != c, then there is no assignment to z and you have a latch. Your second if statement needs an else clause.

In any case, the conditional ?: operator can be nested:

assign z = (a==b) ? a : (b==c) ? b : z;

That z at the end represents the missing else clause.

Equivalent code to System Verilog:

Code Verilog - [expand]
always @ * begin
  if (a==b)       z = a;
  else if (b==c) z = b
end

This works in System Verilog too as it's a superset of the Verilog language

Code Verilog - [expand]
assign z = a==b ? a : b==c ? b;

Regards,
-alan

always_comb is the same function as assign

Uhm, no? It's in the rough same area of things that look like similar stuff, but I would not say they are identical.

Even easier ... if you want to do it in verilog, and are a bit miffed that plain old verilog doesn't have "always_comb" ... well you can always use "always". So in your case:

Code Verilog - [expand]
always @* //always, just like always_comb functionally speaking is somewhere in the same galaxy as assign. sometimes.
begin
    if(a==b)
        z=a; 
    else 
        if (b==c) 
            z=b;
end

Incidentally, what is z supposed to be when a!=b and b!=c ? Your code snippet doesn't have much to say about that situation...

- - - Updated - - -

Heh, this seems like a popular minute for replies! XD

Updated update: awwww, the "Updated" messed my minute. That makes me very sad. ;(

Thanks guys :)
I understand how does the assign use now. Since my output z is a wire, so I used assign for my code.

1 more question, how about if I wanna do two things after a==b? Like:

if(a==b)
begin
z=a;
count=count+1;
end
else
if (b==c)
begin
z=b;
count=count+2;
end
Then what should I write them into assign? This is what I have tried

assign z = (a==b) ? (a & (count=count+1)) : (b==c) ?( b & (count=count+2)): z;

mrflibble: Could you briefly talk about why always_comb and assign are different? because when I read some verilog beginner's book, it said that are doing the same things.

daisordan,

If you want your code to be synthesizable, you cannot combine combinatorial and sequential logic like this in a single assign statement. You will need to explain your desired functionality without using any Verilog syntax first so we can suggest the best way to code what you want to achieve.

If you don't care if your code is synthesizable, you can assign the output of a function call

Code:
assign z = myfunction(a,b,c);
function logic myfunction(input a,b,c);
  if(a==b)
     begin
     z=a;
     count=count+1; // this is a side-effect that is not synthesizable
     end
  else
    if (b==c)
       begin
       z=b;
       count=count+2; // this is a side-effect that is not synthesizable
      end
endfunction

The biggest difference between always_comb and an assign statement is with the how the simulator deals with the semantics of function calls. An assignment statement only looks for events on the operands that appear on the RHS of the assignment, while always_comb expands functions in-line and looks for any change of any operand that appears inside the function. For example suppose I re-wrote the function to directly reference a,b,c instead of passing them as arguments to the function:
Code:
assign z1 = myfunction();
always_comb z2 = myfunction();
function logic myfunction();
  if(a==b)
     z=a;
  else
    if (b==c)
       z=b;
   else z ='bx; // a don't care to prevent a latch
endfunction
The asssign z1= statement would never execute because there are no triggering events on the RHS to cause an evaluation.

The always_comb z2= block executes at time 0, and when there is a change on any operand that is referenced within the block.

mrfibble, I recommend NEVER TO USE always @(*) because it does not guarantee execution at time 0. I have Seen code like

Code:
real pi;
`define PI 3.14159
always @(*) pi = `PI; // DO NOT EVER DO use always_comb pi = `PI; instead

that fails because there was never an event to trigger the always @(*) block.

mrflibble: Could you briefly talk about why always_comb and assign are different? because when I read some verilog beginner's book, it said that are doing the same things.

See for example this here link for a list of fun differences. :)

- - - Updated - - -

mrfibble, I recommend NEVER TO USE always @(*) because it does not guarantee execution at time 0. I have Seen code like

Code:
real pi;
`define PI 3.14159
always @(*) pi = `PI; // DO NOT EVER DO use always_comb pi = `PI; instead

that fails because there was never an event to trigger the always @(*) block.

I readily agree with that recommendation. :) I was just going with the OP's flow of it being verilog-2001 as opposed to system verilog.

No always_comb in the old school verilog, hence the always @(*) remark. But when you have the luxury of tools that do system verilog, then I'd say go for always_comb, always_ff etc.

The pointer to make sure you know what happens at time 0 in your simulation is a good one to remind oneself of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back