Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate inductance of spiral inductor by using HFSS and ADS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hien.rfic

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am a newbie in RFIC design.
I want to design a spiral inductor on chip. Follow some instruction on internet:
First, I draw it in HFSS, simulate and extract the S-parameter to s2p file. After that, I use ADS to calculate the inductance:
12-10-11 9-55-38 PM.png
I don't know why it's wrong. The inductance look like crazy
12-10-11 10-00-33 PM.png
Can anyone help me? Thank in advance.

I don't know why it's wrong. Can anyone help me?

Yes, but why do you open an new thread instead of following instructions in your previous thread?

I do this RFIC inductor workflow support for paying customers every day. Here you can get my help for free, but you seem to ignore questions and troubleshooting instructions.

Yes, but why do you open an new thread instead of following instructions in your previous thread?

I do this RFIC inductor workflow support for paying customers every day. Here you can get my help for free, but you seem to ignore questions and troubleshooting instructions.

I'm sorry. Because I'm in a hurry. I read your suggestion but I don't know what I should do. I worried that I cannot ask you too much and you don't have time to answer my foolish questions. I'm ever so sorry. I greatly appreciate your kindness.

I read your suggestion but I don't know what I should do.

Replace your S2P block with an ideal 10nH inductor component, and test if your equation now works.

The purpose of this test is to see if the problem is in the equation, or in the s2p file. I sometimes have inductor s2p files where the extracted inductance looks wrong (negative) because there is some open circuit (gap) in the model. With an ideal L, you can test the equation and see if your problem is in the equation or in the S2P data.

Replace your S2P block with an ideal 10nH inductor component, and test if your equation now works.

The purpose of this test is to see if the problem is in the equation, or in the s2p file. I sometimes have inductor s2p files where the extracted inductance looks wrong (negative) because there is some open circuit (gap) in the model. With an ideal L, you can test the equation and see if your problem is in the equation or in the S2P data.

I test with ideal inductor and the result from equations are right. The problem is in the s2p file. I also check the HFSS structure. I change some variable and now I have a good inductor. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice.
12-10-13 1-34-52 PM.png

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back