Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

implementation of a band-pass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHYAR239

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there!
I wanna design a band-pass filter with ADS then implement it.
I hope you help me!;-)

Hello,
Please elaborate what is 'ADS'?
What kind of band-pass filter you want?
Where do you want to implement?

First, you should determine what specs you are looking for, e.g. what's the center frequency of your filter, what's the -3dB frequency, etc.
Then, you can use either the classic filter design theory or a software such as Matlab to design the coefficients of the target transfer function. Based on this transfer function, you can design the circuit which can be a Gm-C filter, active-RC, LC, etc.

Thanks to all participants!
Ok, let me tell you more about my project...(a passive filter, equal ripple)
due to the filter order, FBW and central frequency I chose my element values from Pozar's table
What's next step?

Hello,
Please elaborate what is 'ADS'?
What kind of band-pass filter you want?
Where do you want to implement?
Advanced Design System ,ADS, is a powerful software for design and simulation almost every kind of circuit .
the filter type is equal ripple.
and I want to implement it by PCB

First, you should determine what specs you are looking for, e.g. what's the center frequency of your filter, what's the -3dB frequency, etc.
Then, you can use either the classic filter design theory or a software such as Matlab to design the coefficients of the target transfer function. Based on this transfer function, you can design the circuit which can be a Gm-C filter, active-RC, LC, etc.
I already determined my element(inductance and capacitance)values...
do you have any idea about doing it by ADS?

Thank you...
I almost designed the filter in ADS,so what's the next step to prepare it to PCB?

another question
all given data is(filter type:band-pass equal ripple,its central freauency and bandwidth )
now what should I chose for stop and pass band frequency and their attenution ?
Untitled.png
thanks in advance

Pass band can be calculated from the desired center frequency and bandwidth.

The stop band, center frequency, bandwidth and the required attenuation at the pass band and stop band are all determined by the application. Some applications may require much more attenuation in the stop band some may not.

If the application mandates a sharp transition from pass band to stop band then the filter order will increase.

Pass band can be calculated from the desired center frequency and bandwidth.

The stop band, center frequency, bandwidth and the required attenuation at the pass band and stop band are all determined by the application. Some applications may require much more attenuation in the stop band some may not.

If the application mandates a sharp transition from pass band to stop band then the filter order will increase.
I have no idea about the stop band or its attenuation, how much should they be / how come?
(the filter order is fixed )

I have no idea about the stop band or its attenuation, how much should they be / how come?

A passive filter needs a certain amount of Amperes to drive it. A chief factor is the L:C ratio.
In general, if you have tiny current, then choose large L, small C.
If you have high current, then choose small L, large C.
By running a variety of simulations you can see how your rolloff curve is affected by:
* L:C ratio
* input resistance
* output resistance.

A passive filter needs a certain amount of Amperes to drive it. A chief factor is the L:C ratio.
In general, if you have tiny current, then choose large L, small C.
If you have high current, then choose small L, large C.
By running a variety of simulations you can see how your rolloff curve is affected by:
* L:C ratio
* input resistance
* output resistance.
thanks for the tips
I can choose L & C values according to Pozar's table...or using filter DesignGuide of ADS but it needs pass-band frequencies and attenution(dB)
let me know if my question isn't clear enough.

With given filter type (apparently Chebyshev), filter order, center frequency, bandwidth and pass band ripple (which is apparently fixed too) there are no more free parameters. The stop band behavior is already determined.

With given filter type (apparently Chebyshev), filter order, center frequency, bandwidth and passband ripple (which is apparently fixed too) there are no more free parameters. The stop band behavior is already determined.
I can not realize it :thinker:
I have center frequency and bandwidth, so I have the pass band...
could you please let me know how can I extract stopband frequencies and attenuation from all given data?

Design a Chebyshev filter with the given parameters (order, center frequency, bandwidth, passband ripple) and observe the resulting stop band characteristic.

Design a Chebyshev filter with the given parameters (order, center frequency, bandwidth, passband ripple) and observe the resulting stop band characteristic.

I don't know how.

I really don't know whats the next step to implementation ... I just can extract inductance and capacitance from Pozar's table or using ADS(without attenuation ,...)

The attenuation will be given by the filter's components. ADS will show what is the attenuation if you use the Filter Design guide...

If you give the known specifications for your filter, we can possibly clarify how far the remaining parameters are already determined by it. Or implement a design example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back