Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic Strip Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravkothari23

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all..
i am planing to make security system using magnetic strip reader, where i can use any debit or credit card to open and close the lock.
i am using a microcontroller, LCD and keypad where i can easily interface this readers. but the main problem is how can i design my own readers, as the one which are easily available in market does not fits into the plastic enclosure we have design.
so can anybody guide me how can i make this readers for interfacing with microcontroller and what sensors are used.

There are several vendors of OEM modules, some of which are quite small in size. I do not think any of these options have not met your requirements. Once it is a relatively big part of the product, I would consider doing the whole mechanic design around some specific brand device, instead of the opposite.

Hi,

isn´t a magnetic strip a bit out of date?
What about RFID?

Klaus

This is a terrible idea. Use something that has your credit card or bank account information and do the equivalent of credit card skimming to extract that information "as a security system" seems fraught with fraud potential.

I would refuse to use such a system. There is already more than enough potential for someone to grab your credit card number/address/phone/etc that is encoded on the magnetic strip than to regularly have to use it for a security system (more like stripping your credit card or bank account of any kind of security).

IMO, anyone who would allow their card to be used this way qualifies as an idiot who deserves to lose their money.

Hi,

I also don´t recommend to use credit cards for a security system.

I´ve heard (not sure if this is ture) that nowadays credit cards don´t use the magnetic strip anymore. They use just the chip and/or NFC.
Magnetic strip is not reliable and is easily "deleted" by a nearby magnet.
My cell phone case has slots for credit cards and a magnetic close mechanism....not a good combination for the magnet strip.

Klaus

Added:
Then NFC may be a solution for you. But for sure it most probably will read out the credit card number.
Same security problem as with the magnet strip (data).

--> there are cheap credit card size RFID cards... and many other RFID tags. Read only or R/W.. I recommend to use read only.
I assume there are NFC cards available, too.

At least in the US, all gas station pumps still use the magnetic strip at least I've never seen one that uses the chip even at stations with new pumps replaced in the last year.

Many POS systems still use the strip, a lot of the larger retailers have switched their POS systems to use the chip (at least that is encrypted, unlike the mag strip), but the smaller ones still use the magnetic swipe readers. Most restaurants use swipe readers, I've only noticed a few that use the chip (mostly newer up-scale places).

Hi,

I also don´t recommend to use credit cards for a security system.

I´ve heard (not sure if this is ture) that nowadays credit cards don´t use the magnetic strip anymore. They use just the chip and/or NFC.
Magnetic strip is not reliable and is easily "deleted" by a nearby magnet.
My cell phone case has slots for credit cards and a magnetic close mechanism....not a good combination for the magnet strip.

Klaus

Added:
Then NFC may be a solution for you. But for sure it most probably will read out the credit card number.
Same security problem as with the magnet strip (data).

--> there are cheap credit card size RFID cards... and many other RFID tags. Read only or R/W.. I recommend to use read only.
I assume there are NFC cards available, too.
Yes... I agree with all of you....
But this is one of my clients requirement. I even tried convincing him of not using Credit cards but to use RFID cards which are more reliable, but he does not agrees... He needs only magnetic strip reader for credit cards and debit cards.
So please guide me how to design the same and what sensor and IC's has to be used for interfacing with microcontroller 89S52.

But this is one of my clients requirement. I even tried convincing him of not using Credit cards but to use RFID cards which are more reliable

From the beginning I assumed that the purpose would be to use a magnetic card of the type, but not properly the bank card or credit card itself; In this case I would endorse what has been mentioned here by others, this is not a safe solution for customer's side, and from the technical sight there is no impediment to be used fraudulently.

Yes... I agree with all of you....
But this is one of my clients requirement. I even tried convincing him of not using Credit cards but to use RFID cards which are more reliable, but he does not agrees... He needs only magnetic strip reader for credit cards and debit cards.

Your client sounds like a criminal...they probably want to build a gas station card reader to sell stolen card numbers to the black market.

Does your housing look anything like these examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+does+a+skimmer+look+like+on+a+gas+pump&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdtq7-9PTaAhVBTmMKHfjMCRcQsAQIYQ&biw=1188&bih=738
It would explain why they want such a specific shape for their design.

Your client sounds like a criminal...they probably want to build a gas station card reader to sell stolen card numbers to the black market.

Does your housing look anything like these examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+does+a+skimmer+look+like+on+a+gas+pump&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdtq7-9PTaAhVBTmMKHfjMCRcQsAQIYQ&biw=1188&bih=738
It would explain why they want such a specific shape for their design.
My concept ia different... We are not going to sell it to any petrol pumps or any other places where multiple card datas are been stored.
Our concept is for electronic locks for safes. Where only one card can be used and that too in his personal safe

Hi,

Our concept is for electronic locks for safes. Where only one card can be used and that too in his personal safe
For a hotel?
Where people may put their portemonnaie or their credit card into the safe ... maybe accidentally.
Whoops the key is in the safe :-(

Klaus

Hi,

For a hotel?
Where people may put their portemonnaie or their credit card into the safe ... maybe accidentally.
Whoops the key is in the safe :-(

Klaus

not for the hotel safes.. as i told its for its personal home use.

You specified personal use which isn't necessarily restricted to (safe) home use. Anyway, what are you asking for?

You can buy complete card reader units with USB/RS232/PS2 or TTL interface. They apparently don't fit your size specification.

In this case google for "magnetic card reader head" and see what's useful for you. Presume you don't expect us to design the reader unit for you, but there are possibly some devices coming with complete interface electronics (reader amplifier, decoder)-

Status
Not open for further replies.