Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test quality of earth connection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_rb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to test earth connection

I am using a XRF instrument and I want to be sure earth connection has sufficient quality since instrument has a lot of boards and any discharge can cause disaster. Could experts please advice how I can test my instrument earth connection quality with tools like Ohmeter or oscilloscope.

Steve

how to check earth connection

I think you are speaking about the Heart connection on the mains supply line.
If yes, witout a specific instrument, try this, but remember, the operation contain a risk.

1) I assume Your mains is Line+Neutral.
2) I assume the Neutral is "good enough" to have a potential near to 0 V and enough stable during the time.
3) I assume that a some kind of GND contact on the socket is REALLY connected to the Heart, also if with a bad conection. THIS IS FUNDAMENTAL FOR SEFTY !
4) Disable an eventual "differential" circuit breaker (or connect measurement before it).
5) connect AC voltmeter between GND and Neutral (on the socket).
6) ADVISE EVERY PEOPLE INSIDE YOUR BUILDING!!
The following operation is RISK of FOLGORATION !

7) connetc a power load (like a 100W lamp) between Line and GND. Lamp should turn on, read the ACVoltmeter (V1) and DISCONNECT SOON!

8) Applying the Ohm law, the GND resistance is Rgnd=V1/(Power_lamp/V_mains)
eg:
V1= 6V
Power_lamp=100W
V_mains=220V
Rgnd= 6/(100/220)=8.2 Ohm, that is good for most applications.

how to test an earth connection

Hi,
check the earth(absolute) to neutral voltage if possible. This should be less than 10V. Also check the votages with respect to neutral. This should not be more than 10V from the pecification.
Make sure the chassis is connected to the ground/neutral.

B R M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back