Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Short circuit on this board somewhere- I am at a complete loss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a simple H bridge implemented with TIP 122/127.

The base resistors (560R) terminate in a screw terminal block and the conjoined emitters also both terminate in a screw terminal block through the 4.7R resistor.

With only the power connector (on the right side) connected to 12V, but nothing else connected, it shorts my power supply.

1) I have checked for bad transistors and they are all good.
2) I have checked for solder dags.
3) I have sanded the heat sink around the holes to make sure there are no Al dags connecting to the back of the transistors through the holes.
3a) I have used those thermally conductive heat pad things behind the transistors along with the plastic eyelet things for the the bolts.
4) I have used my continuity checkers to look for connections between the back of the transistors and the heat sink - none.
5) I have checked for a bad cap, but it is good.
6) Can't find any soldering mistakes.

If I put my continuity across the power connection header then I get a brief beep but then it stops and I hear nothing else.

What am I missing here? What have I not considered?

circuit.png

Schematic.png

Last edited:

If I put my continuity across the power connection header then I get a brief beep but then it stops and I hear nothing else.
Errrmmmm..... the capacitor charging up perhaps!

Brian.

Hi,

your schematic shows TIP128... it should be TIP122...

Can we see a detailed picture of the backside. and a more detailed for the comonent side?

Test:
When your power supply is current limited to 100mA.. what voltage do you see? - measured across the supply rails

Klaus

But I actually removed that cap from the circuit board and re-tested it but it still shorted the power supply. Any other ideas?

I see I should be doing my h bridge something like this anyway:
index.php

If I wanted to power my current design from 20V then the load would never see more than the 12V input to the bases anyway......emitter follower.......

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Tip122 yes. 12V DC plug pack thing - it just shuts down due to a safety measure being triggered and it stays that way until I disconnect my board.

20V laptop plug pack - the voltage seems to oscillate around 200mV to 2V or something like that also due to a shorter lived safety measure being triggered I presume.

- - - Updated - - -

How's this?

If you roll the top edge of the board down and towards you in this photo then the front of the TIPs will be facing you and I have the TIPs in this order: TIP122...TIP127...TIP122...TIP127.
back.jpg

circuit.jpg

Last edited:

Hi,

really hard to verify.
Please check for an accidental short at the power connector.:
bridge1.JPG

but yes, there are complete H bridges in one IC. This is easy to use and there is less voltage drop and less heating.
You could do with a much smaller heatsink.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back