Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sequential design in VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeltyukov

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to design a circuit using 2 positive edge-triggered t flip flops w/synchronous active high reset and CE. The inputs that I am given are INPUT, CLR and CLK and the outputs are Q0, Q1 and RCO. Here's what I have for the code so far:

Code:
entity sequential is
    Port ( INPUT : in  STD_LOGIC;
           CLR : in  STD_LOGIC;
           CLK : in  STD_LOGIC;
           Q0 : buffer  STD_LOGIC;
           Q1 : buffer  STD_LOGIC;
           RCO : out  STD_LOGIC);
end sequential;

architecture Behavioral of sequential is
signal CE0: STD_LOGIC;
signal CE1: STD_LOGIC;

begin

process (CLK)
begin
   if CLK'event and CLK='1' then  
      if CLR='1' then   
         Q0 <= '0';
      elsif CE0 ='1' then
         Q0 <= not(Q0);
      end if;
   end if;
end process;

process (CLK)
begin
   if CLK'event and CLK='1' then  
      if CLR='1' then   
         Q1 <= '0';
      elsif CE1 ='1' then
         Q1 <= not(Q1);
      end if;
   end if;
end process;
end Behavioral;

I need to add code to my design to generate the flip flop excitations (CE0 and CE1) and the output (RCO). This is the part I am getting stuck on. Did I do the right thing and replace <clock enable> in the skeleton code for the t flip flop with CE0 and CE1? Also, should I declare CE0 and CE1 as signals like I did above? I am not sure how to generate CE0 and CE1 excitations but I was thinking something along the lines of CE0 <= CLK and INPUT. Is that correct? If so, would I do CE1 <= CLK and Q0? Where does RCO come in in all of this?

Thanks!

CE0 and CE1 should be the j/k ff (T FF)input equations, your declaration is correct, you need to assign values for them.. look at project one for the equations.. RCO is your 3 to 8 decoder selected output... as far as i remember its something like q0 and q1 and input or the q0' q1' and input' because you select y0 and y7 from the decoder.. the only thing i am not sure of is the clock enable thing.. thats actually how i got to this page, was googling stuff hoping to find what that clock enable thingy is.. limme know if you figure that clock_enable thing out.. gluck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.