Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to sync one 7 Series Transciever to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

beginner_EDA

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to snyc one 7 Series Transceiver to anothe

Hi,
How to snyc one 7 Series Transceiver to another 7 series Transceiver?

I am working with 12G SDI video Receiver which gives 4 3G-SDI video ouput running in one Transeiver bank(in my case Bank 115 of kintex xc7k325tffg900-3) . Now I want to foreward/transport this 3G-SDI video to another Transceiver bank(in my case Bank 117 of kintex xc7k325tffg900-3).

The problem is sync failed time to time and I have error in 3G-SDI video output time to time.

I would like to know is there any way to sync one transceiver to another?

Re: How to snyc one 7 Series Transceiver to anothe

I have not worked with such video streams, but in general a receiving transceiver locks to the incoming data.
If you want the same data to be "forwarded" out an another transceiver, the data will be clocked out locked to a local oscillator.
If the units are not locked to each other, there will always be a small difference in clock frequencies.
To handle this, the transport protocol must have some slack. This is normally done by inserting some redundant K symbols in the lowest layer.
If the incoming data has no slack, you must make sure that your transmit data rate is slightly higher than the incoming data rate.

Transceivers use clock recovery as the clock information is embedded in the data.

I would say this is probably has nothing to do with the data rates or slight frequency differences between the transmit and local clocks, I suspect this is an SI problem. Especially as you make it sound like the failures are somewhat random. Rate mismatches tend to result in discernible patterns of errors.

Have you hooked up a high speed scope and verified the eye opening is large enough to meet the 3G-SDI spec?

Look over papers like this for recommendations for designing these SerDes links:
https://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/5XilinxTheDos.pdf?&cc=US&lc=eng

Have you played around with the Serial IO debug tools? You might want to use that to test the hardware and try to find optimal settings for the emphasis and equalization in your particular application.

Have you played around with the Serial IO debug tools?

I second this. The debug tools should have already been used if this is a prototype. If this is not a prototype, you can easily get these set up.

I also suggest adding connections between config/diag ports on the tiles and any software control interface. The ability to determine link margin and configure the interfaces has value. I'm not sure if Xilinx has gone full-crazy with encrypted IP though.

Other random suggestions:
1.) 8b10b is mostly symmetric but not entirely. It is possible to get an inverted polarity that almost works and looks like a fairly high bit-error rate. (but repeatable and less than a fully corrupted link)
2.) DFE is probably not useful at these rates if you don't have a long backplane or connectors.
3.) Avoid over-EQ and excessively high/low drivers.
4.) You can also use something other than 12G SDI if you control both ends of this interface.
5.) In the worst case, you can add ECC. (or retransmit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back