Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where does the name diode-connected MOS come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In cmos design, we always use the diode connected NMOS and pMOS transistors. Why it is called diode conected? Is it because its I-V characteristics like a diode connected bipolar one?I can not see a diode structure from the view of process.

Another question is about the diode in standard cmos process. I need a voltage drop diode in my circuit, I used a diode connected PMOS transistor but I connected the bulk(NWELL) to its drain, then a P+/Nwell diode is developed. I want to know what's the disavantages in using this diode in my design?

Thanks in advance!!!

diode connected nmos

chang830 said:
In cmos design, we always use the diode connected NMOS and pMOS transistors. Why it is called diode conected? Is it because its I-V characteristics like a diode connected bipolar one?I can not see a diode structure from the view of process.

Another question is about the diode in standard cmos process. I need a voltage drop diode in my circuit, I used a diode connected PMOS transistor but I connected the bulk(NWELL) to its drain, then a P+/Nwell diode is developed. I want to know what's the disavantages in using this diode in my design?

Thanks in advance!!!

Diode connected mos always remains in saturation once it is powered but Vds is not equal to Vt, actually Vds depends on Id flowing thru it and Id depends on Vds thus we get a complex equation to solve for and another point here is that Vt also depends on Vs which is unknow.

diode-connected mos

About P+/NWELL diode.
1. Actually it is not diode it is pnp transistor to substrate, emitter current will differ from base current. You should remember that.
2. The current to substrate can flow both trough substrate contact or trough any reverse biased junction and thus can cause unexpected behavior of your circuit.

pmos diode

It seems to me that a diode connected device has gets its name for two reasons:
1. It is carry over from the bjt world where there is actually a diode resulting from the similar connection (shorting base to collector).
2. It only conducts in only one direction. In many cases a MOSFET is a symetrical thing with the source and drain being interchangeble (ignoring body bias effects). When we diode connect a device, it can only conduct in one direction.

Just my interpretation...

This being said, the IV characteristics are as jiveshgovil describes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back