Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Double sided PC boards unsoldering parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
unsoldering ic

When im unsoldering parts ,removing IC chips,Transistors,switches with alot of pins . What can i do without damaging the boards>

1.) Any tips or techniques thats are good ? because mostly the traces or holes will lift up , its much harded removing parts from double sided PC boards , how can i make them come out easier because i only have one soldering iron on one side when it really needs Two soldering irons at the same time it seems right?

2.) Another problem i have is "solder" gets stuck inside the double track HOLE. Mostly its the trace/hole that is connected to ground. I use a solder sucking alot , it still doesn't get the solder out of the hole. I tried using a resistor lead and poking it though still doesn't get the solder out. What can i do to make double sided PC board solder out when its stuck inside the hole?

unsoldering tips

you are not using enough heat. Keep the temperature correct. And the tips clean.

unsolder ic

but i put the temp/ all the way up it will start lifting up the trace and the solder sucker is not sucking up the solder good enough

un soldering temperature for pc board

why not using solder wick for the easy ones?
for ic the best is air-hot station, not available you can try:

- (destructive), just cut the pins and unsolder pins individual,

or

- apply solder in all the pins (shortcut all of them) and apply heat in all the rows to get the chip out. After that just use solder wick or solder sucker to clean the board. Something like this **broken link removed** (check the video link) but just i dont use the copper wires, just only solder and is enough for me.

important, as said, tips clean and proper iron.

how do you unsolder parts from a circuit board

what kind of proper iron is good for double sided PC board when removing components

how do you un-solder a through hole part

Good iron, solder sucker, solder wick, small flat screwdriver and experiences will help.

unsolder hot air

Actually, it happens mostly when soldering Iron is too hot (i.e. without temperature control) and holding the tip of soldering iron on the pad longer than needed. Use soldering iron like Weller etc or use which do not have a solid Tip. Apply a little solder,(as like you r soldering a component with solder wire) and and stay the tip at the pin for a while (a second or two) sucking the solder. A thick pin needs more heat than thin ofcourse. Your sucker should be strong enough that when you tightly put your finger at the its tip and release the sucker, the sucker arm should not move until you remove ur finger. A big body soldering sucker will be a good idea as it has more power for sucking. Apply grease inside the sucker to make it more effect. Sometime a unsolder hole seems to be clear, but when we see through a good magnifier we see a little solder connecting PTH and pin. And so on.

Regards

how to unsolder ic?

try doing it many times... you know, practicing and experience teaches you more than anyone else...

the more failure you got and damaging the PCB, the more money you're wasting:D... hehe, but you'll probably get the best results in the future...

regards

solder wick in danish

walters said:
When im unsoldering parts ,removing IC chips,Transistors,switches with alot of pins . What can i do without damaging the boards>

1.) Any tips or techniques thats are good ? because mostly the traces or holes will lift up , its much harded removing parts from double sided PC boards , how can i make them come out easier because i only have one soldering iron on one side when it really needs Two soldering irons at the same time it seems right?

2.) Another problem i have is "solder" gets stuck inside the double track HOLE. Mostly its the trace/hole that is connected to ground. I use a solder sucking alot , it still doesn't get the solder out of the hole. I tried using a resistor lead and poking it though still doesn't get the solder out. What can i do to make double sided PC board solder out when its stuck inside the hole?

For 1.) The best way to unsoldering parts with lots of pins is using the hot-air gun. blow the pins with the hot air gun and use a tweezer to remove the part gently. You will be surprised how easy is to remove the parts with a hot-air gun.

For 2.) I use a solder sucker too. Don't push the plated-through-hole hard by your iron. Place the dip of the iron on the hole long enough for all the solder to melt, and then use the sucker to suck it out. You may need to add more tin to the hole first. And select a good soldering sucker.

unsolder flat pins

Many people would say the same thing as I told you. And yes, what Nhoj said, pratice makes the man perfect. Why not try and practice with salvage PCB's. I hope Walter, you are satisfied now?

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.