Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Silicon diode instead of germanium diode 1N34?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasot

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which silicon diode can be used instead of germanium diode 1N34?
i can't find germanuim diode???? but silicon diodes are availble plz do tell me what should i do............

help me! with material

It depends why you want the Germanium diode. A Schottky diode has a similar forward volts drop but sharper knee which makes them unsuitable for guitar effects pedals for example.

Keith

help me! with material

actualy its my project to convert radio waves to electricity so my basic circuit has these things:

MATERIAL:
1. Four Germanium Diodes (1N34).
2. Two 100µF 50V electrolytic capacitors.
3. Tw0 0.2µF 50V ceramic capacitors.
but i cant find diodes so which diode should i use???

Added after 7 minutes:

and one more Question which material is best for recieving radio waves from air which should i use?

help me! with material

Hi,
I would select some Schottky, for example from HP (zero bias, SMD, double iodes in SOT23 package), Im not on my PC in these time, can not give for you exact types...
I think its a very sensitive project for quality of capacitors (too), if you plans to charge some general used electrolithics, their leakage will be (possibly) higher/sinilar as the input charge/current! :-(
I think, its better to use ceramics with possible highest capacitances_insteed the 100uF/50Volts
Of course the same problem at 0.2uF/50V too, both must be good quality ceramics, the real storageis in one of to 100 uFs (or in both)?
K.
P.S.:
You can find some more info with the subject "RF-Harvesting" & "Rectantenna" on Edaforum too :)...
For selectable materials you must know what kind of frequencies are "more active" in your environment, but in all cases it must be a widebandwith system_maybe up to short waves only, but maybe you have some strong transmitter in the nightboroughshaft on GHz freuencies or such 100MHz....
The best solution is not to tell, you neead sprectrum analysis for see it; what frequencies are used on your place & at which has interesting energie level for you., than build usable antena(s) for these frequenci(es)...
In all cases, you must know, their are very small energies to use for you.
K.

help me! with material

Yes, as karesz said - a Schottky will be fine. BAT46 maybe, depending on how much current you need.

Keith

help me! with material

thanks alot...........its working...........thank you so much

help me! with material

their are some more problem.....
1.while solding components on veroboard do we have to solde both terminals of diode with each other?
2. my circuit is working fine on breadboard but its not working on veroboard????
plz help me um so worried about it...............

help me! with material

have you used the BAT46? If so, which package? There are several packages available - some through hole, some surface mount such as SOT23.

Keith.

help me! with material

i got germanium diodes...............and um using them

help me! with material

Unless you have blown up one of the diodes, you must have a connection wrong. You might be better with Schottky diodes anyway. Germanium diodes are still used in guitar effects pedals but I understand that the quality of the diodes isn't that great.

Keith.

Re: help me! with material

Hi there, I have replaced the Germanium Diodes (1N34) with
"Diode 0A91/BAT46/BAT48". I was told that it would work for
the same project that you are doing and I am also atempting
the same project. If you have any success and would like to
share any cost getting the larger scale model working, I would
love to here from you.

Jack Martin

Re: Silicon diode nstead of germanium diode 1N34?

So it actually works? because i was on the website and it seemed like a scam

What Website? There is no Website mentioned in this thread.

Keith

I have not seen one working yet so it still maybe a scam.
As my knowledge is very limited but nonetheless, I`m attempting it.

I don't really understand what you think is a "scam" or why. There has been no website mentioned. There has been mention of RF energy harvesting. The RF energy exists. You can measure it. But as Karesz mentioned, the amount of energy is tiny. Unless you live next to a high power transmitter you will not get enough energy to do much with it, if anything.

Keith.

The maybe scam is not so much what we are trying to do, but what they are trying to sell. This little project we are doing is a $12 project which is supposed to work.
If we are able, we would like to know if it works.

What $12 project? I haven't seen any links to a project making any claims. I would help if I could but so far this thread contains very little information.

Keith.

It's a con. You can measure some volts but the power will be minute. You will not be charging your telephone from it or "power your entire home and more". If you had some tiny circuit that took just a few micro watts then you might be able to do something with the energy.

I remember a story when I was a kid about someone who lived near an AM transmitter and ran an aerial in parallel with the transmitter aerial and got some usable power, but that may just have been a story.

Save you money and time and find another project.

Keith.

ahh well thats a buzz kill, was heaps hoping it was real, would've spread it round and delt the power companies a blow

Status
Not open for further replies.